2021 Facebook Lives
The Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School took place online again this year from June 28th to July 2nd in the format of a week of Facebook Live tutorials. It was another huge success, with over 100,000 from 34 countries across the world viewing the tutorials on the Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School page. This included people from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Hungary, Israel, Poland, Romania, Peru, Bolivia, Suriname, South Africa, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, India, South Korea and Japan!
The Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School Committee would like to take this opportunity to thank;
• The participants, who provided such positive feedback to our tutors all week with lovely comments.
• The tutors, who were amazing, delivering such professional tuition to all the musicians, singers and dancers who were lucky enough to find the time to join their tutorials.
• The sponsors, without whom the Summer School could not take place, including The Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media; Mayo County Council and Comhaltas.
• Councillors John Caulfield and Gerry Murray for helping to secure funding for the Summer School on an annual basis.
• Fr. Vincent Sherlock for celebrating the Summer School Mass on Sunday, June 27th and the Choir led by Ann Marie Rooney and Marian Egan, for the lovely music at this Mass to start the week.
• Everyone who donated to our fundraiser (in lieu of class fees) for the Western Care Association, which raised a wonderful total of €2,127.
Here is a short selection of the comments we received during the week, which are a testament to our wonderful tutors;
“It was a fantastic week of music and fabulous teachers. Thank you all”.
“Thank you Laura Ganley (Sean Nós Dancing) for all the great tuition over the past week and to the Summer School, you are a fabulous dancer, really enjoyed the past week”.
“Really enjoyed the week’s entertainment (with Caoimhe Kearins – Traditional Singing). Great variety in singing and all the background info to each song”.
“A cracking set of lessons this week (with Joseph McNulty – Bodhrán), thanks a million, so well structured”.
“Thanks very much Michael Hurley (Tin Whistle) a fantastic week. Great choice and background to tunes”.
“Well done, what a great week of music and got some lovely tunes to work on for Banjo, thanks again and to our Banjo tutor Theresa O'Grady”.
“Thanks so much John Wynne (Flute), I've learnt so much and will keep re-watching the videos to absorb as much as I can”.
“Really great Breda Shannon (Concertina), looking forward to Kilmovee!”
“That was absolutely delightful Éadaoin Ní Mhaicín (Harp). Thank you”.
“Thank you Daithí Gormley (Accordion) - great to have your expertise. I have plenty to keep me going for the summer with 5 new tunes”.
“Thank you for a wonderful bunch of tunes and excellent teaching this week Oisin Mac Diarmada (Fiddle) - really first rate! Thank you to Seosamh Mac Gabhann School - this is a wonderful event, spirit lifting in every way”.
The videos will remain on the Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School Facebook Page for anyone that would like to learn a tune, song or dance from the week. Hopefully, everyone can meet up in Kilmovee next year for the Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School 2022!
Website – www.smgsummerschool.com
Facebook – Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School